Friday, July 14, 2006

In beloved memory of auntie Rita

Today
Cancer got one
of my family members
my aunt died this morning
early and by herself

she wasn't much of
a family person
the last couple of years
she wandered
around the mall
a lot by herself

and guess she was
happy that way
she never called
or invited us over
it was an aunt
that you would see
at Christmas

still I have a lot
of memories
she was the funstarter
the one who made us kids
do our performances
at grandma's house
on sunday afternoons

the one that did our
make up
and gave us a scarf
to push us through
the doorway
onto "the stage"

the one that announced us
by clapping her hands
and tell everybody to hush
while we stood there
frozen and with a shy smile
waiting for what she
expected from us

she wanted to be alone
the last couple of years
I always thought
she used up all her joy
in the years my
grandmother still lived
on performing
and dancing

this morning she died
cancer got her
ate her body away
she wasn't sick for
very long
it went fast they say

Today
Cancer got one
of my family members

© AngelZpublishing 2006

in memory of tante rita